Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #15

Depends,
If we are en route to a new destination, we just pull into supermarket lot and shop. Easy to do with small trailer. But mostly, we re-supply our larder using our tv when our tt is parked boondocking or at a campground. We have a big fridge, so we only have to shop once a week. You would be able to do the same thing with 24ft Class C.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #16
laj

I am a avid hunter/fisherman as well. I had several types of fishing, boat, no boat, sometimes i wanted my jeep for hunting, or getting to those hidden fly fishing places. I decided for me one wouldn’t do, so i have a dp, and a camper. I use my camper bout 70% of the time. I can pull my jeep, or boat with either. You’ll just have to take your best shot, and if you think something else will work better for you not a problem to change. Might cost a little cabbage, but will be worth it. You just gotta get out there to really find out.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:33 PM   #17

I'm a bit late to this thread, but want to mention that I will be retiring in 2-3 years and I travel solo, too. My plan is for a small travel trailer, under 20', probably a molded fiberglass Escape (similar to Scamp, Casita). These trailers are easy to maneuver around gas pumps, easy to park in the store lots, and they'll fit in some of the small spaces at certain NF CGs (such as Amphitheater CG above Ouray CO).

The biggest ding on any trailer IMO is, one must scout out some of the off-the-beaten-track places for boondocking prior to going there with the trailer, because sometimes there's no place to turn around with the TT. If this type of boondock camping will be a huge part of your plans, a truck camper or 4wd van-based MH could be better. Tiger 4x4 is another small MH that hasn't been mentioned. But keep in mind that a TT or TC can be set up for you to stay in while your truck goes in for service (what if they need to keep it for 2-3 days?), whereas a MH becomes unavailable while in the shop and you'd need a motel room.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #18

I have a 21ft TT and travel up to 6 weeks at a time. Its too small to accommodate my hobbies for much longer than those 6 weeks. Those hobbies are why I travel.

You need to assess your actual needs for gear/equipment etc that would keep you happy and occupied while you are on the road.

Then find a trailer, van or motorhome that can handle it while not being unwieldy
Old 03-31-2022, 08:24 PM   #19

Thank you all for your comments
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I have been looking into some really cool Lance campers. they are just as spendy as the TT's depending on the model.

On the other hand, a camper would be just as useful as a MH.

And, it would not take the depreciation loss of a MH... Very interesting.

I take it, nobody unhooks a camper top at a camp site like a TT?
Some take their truck campers off at campgrounds. I have a friend with a truck camper and he sometimes takes his fishing boat too. At the camp spot, removes camper, takes the boat to the lake or river boat ramp.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #21
laj

Quote:
I have been looking into some really cool Lance campers. they are just as spendy as the TT's depending on the model.

On the other hand, a camper would be just as useful as a MH.

And, it would not take the depreciation loss of a MH... Very interesting.

I take it, nobody unhooks a camper top at a camp site like a TT?

Campers are the highest cost per square ft. They are the most versatile as well. I take mine off whenever i want, or need. Takes about 15 min.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Campers are the highest cost per square ft. They are the most versatile as well. I take mine off whenever i want, or need. Takes about 15 min.
That is an interesting bit of info. If you were at a campsite would you unhook the camper and just drive the truck around until it was time to go?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:45 PM   #23

We were at a CG for four days, there was a couple across from us with a Lance camper. It was unhooked from the truck on it’s legs. They were there before we got there and still there when we left. So I guess if you are staying for a while it would be good to have it off the truck.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #24
laj

Quote:
That is an interesting bit of info. If you were at a campsite would you unhook the camper and just drive the truck around until it was time to go?

If i’m fishing at a lake with my boat i never leave, so no reason to unload my camper. If i am going to say YS, or GP i usually tow my jeep to run around in.

If i’m on just a road trip i don’t stay in CG’s, i boon-dock , and just drive my p/u with the camper on it for sight seeing. I can whip , in and park anywhere in a normal space.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:24 PM   #25

For me its an F450 class C that is useable with the slides in and has the biggest kitchen they can fit in a class C. A rear bedroom and a dinette to eat/work, a 30x36 shower, nice bathroom, good exterior storage.

A van would feel too much like a never ending camping trip, B vans tend to be Mercedes based, always need the slide out to use the bed and require you to drive deep into the cities to find a Mercedes dealer for service - No thanks!

Class A's too big

Jayco Greyhawk 29MV, Redhawk 29XK (and Entegra cousins), Dynamax Isata 4 and some of the aero-body non overhead bunk C's would work too.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take your pick. The only person you have to please is yourself. Get a camel if it floats your boat. Our advice is what might be right for us. But we aren't you.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #27

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We started with a 24 foot toy hauler that had a household bed for sleeping. We found that the trailer was not good for fuel economy (5 mpg) and kept hearing that TT were best for long(er) periods of stationary camping. We also had our fair share of tire issues and kept 2 spares since it seemed to be a replacement issue instead of a patch (after the tire shredded). Also, the truck and trailer payments exceeded the monthly payment for a Class C.

Our Sprinter Class C gets 13.5 mpg and has more usable space. It's a good mix of comfort when traveling and good when staying put. Just our 2 cents.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:31 PM   #28

I doubt the OP is even following this discussion anymore. As one who has owned pop-up campers, travel trailers and now a 34' motorhome, I have a few thoughts about what I would do if I were traveling alone as well as the DW and I are thinking about downsizing in the future. If solo on the road, I think I would be look at something such as the Winnebago Travato or similiar van type camper which could also serve as a main vehicle. I'd be tempted to have an electric bike on a rack which could be used for short trips to a store or even for some sightseeing. For something larger, I'm really attracted to some of the larger Coach House B class units and with those, I would want to tow a small car so that once hooked up in a campground, the towed car would be primary transportation.

But, there are lots of options and it all depends on the needs of the user. If someone doesn't have experience with smaller RVs, it may require owning a couple of rigs before one would know what what work best for their needs!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo