Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdakota View Post
That lift is really out of the way also. I have been paralyzed from the chest down for 3 years now and want to get out and start RVing again. Can someone alone in a wheelchair operate that lift and still stow it once in the RV? I am paralyzed but still very independent. I would like to be able to find an RV where I can operate the RV and get out and back in on my own. The Newmars are very nice but finding a used one is hard to find. Do you have pictures of the lift extended and door open?
Thanks
Gp
I think it's doable, especially if you have good upper body strength and flexibility. Your biggest challenge is going to be unlocking and opening the door, but I'm sure there are options in terms of a new handle and lock mounted low enough to reach. If you look carefully at the photo of the closed door you'll see a lanyard I added so my wife can open the door once it's unlocked. Also you can see where I mounted a set of magnets from Home Depot to hold the door open. We use a stick to lever it closed from inside.

As you can see in the photos, there's a safety rail on the left. The lift actually comes with two but the right one interferes with the door. This folds flat and locks in place with a spring-loaded pin at the bottom. You're probably going to find that this is a hassle, especially when stowing from inside the coach. Therefore, I suspect you'd not use it and rig up something simpler to hold on to for safety.

When getting ready to stow, the outboard yellow ramp needs to be pushed closed so it's flat on the floor (it's at 90 degrees when the lift is off the ground). Normally the safety rail holds it down but, again, I'm sure there's an easy solution to be found.

My control is corded but I see on the Braun site that remote controls are available.

Otherwise I don't see any significant issues. PM me with your phone number if you want to talk on the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_101242.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	254062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_101136.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	254063  

Name:	20190721_101008.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	254064   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_100812.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	254065  

Name:	20190721_100723.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	254066  
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Yes, that is exactly what you do. In our case, it's about 6" in the main living area and about a foot in the bath/bedroom area.

I know that you want a Diesel pusher but that is also limiting in terms of entry door access. I don't know what kind of wheelchair your wife has and if the 30" is absolutely a requirement or not but my wife has a manual chair and she can fairly easily get through a 27" opening. Most Winnebago gas coaches have 27" entry doors and it's possible to mount a Braun UVL (under vehicle lift, like Newmar uses) under the existing entry door in the area intended for the electric steps. That's what my Itasca 35U has, which was installed by the previous owner. It requires some re-routing of the exhaust piping but, otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward install and works great. The previous owner told me that it was about $15k installed.

Here it is in the stowed position:

[IMG]httphttps://www.flickr.com/photos/10545703@N02/44825781591/in/datetaken/[/IMG]
Regarding partial extension of the slides: I've since learned from azpete, our resident HWH expert, that partial extension/retraction isn't a good idea, at least on a routine basis. Doing so can cause the slide to get out of alignment. The proper technique is to full extend the slide before retracting it. What we do now, is to partially extend the slides for access and then run them out all the way before retracting them. That way we're not taking up too much room in a parking lot, rest stop, etc. except momentarily.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All 2020 coach's now posted, except the Super C's
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #46

Hey y'all, my partner is in a wheelchair and we bought a 2012 Newmar that came with Braun lift. However, she cannot operate it alone. We are worried what would happen if I was not in the rig and she needed to get out. She would be stuck in the rig. Has anyone heard of a fix for this? A way for the wheelchair user to open the door and a remote to turn on the lift? Thanks!
Jtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #47

Assuming your's is similar to that in the first video below, it's definitely doable. The only issue is one of cost. I assume that the door opener is a relatively simple linear actuator mechanism mounted at the top, similar to that opening the trap door in the second video. For someone with the necessary skills, it could be done DIY. The remote control should be a fairly easy mod.

Alternatively, your local accessible vehicle shop might be able to do it, possibly with parts from Newmar. I'd start by contacting Newmar to ask about retrofitting the necessary mechanism.

Keep in mind that the above requires power, which may not be available in an emergency, although a dedicated auxiliary AGM battery could be added inside, next to the lift to minimize that risk. Hopefully she has the physical ability to exit via the normal entry door in a controlled slide or fall if all else fails. She'd be without her chair but she'd be out of the RV.

Good luck. I'm dealing with a similar issue on a used wheelchair van I recently purchased. Fortunately, my motorhome has an under vehicle lift (See post #43) under the normal entry door so it's not a problem.

Let us know how things work out.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #48

It’s sad that companies such as Braun and others can’t get with the times. You can start your car from anywhere in the world with your phone but they can’t hook up a lift to your phone? It can’t be that hard. My van lift is the same way, I have to have wires hooked to a controller. Get with the times and help us out.
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #49

Hey y'all, my partner is a paraplegic and we are trying to find a way to turn our lift door in our Newmar Canyon Star into a power door so that she can operate it herself. Any ideas?
Jtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtimmons View Post
Hey y'all, my partner is a paraplegic and we are trying to find a way to turn our lift door in our Newmar Canyon Star into a power door so that she can operate it herself. Any ideas?
Following this as we have a 09 Newmar Allstar that is awesome except my wife needs help with the door that she cannot close herself...
I ask our PM dealer in Grand Rapids Mi. Clock Mobility that builds units such as Sprinter Benz for dealers and they said they could not remote rig the door and they are pretty blue sky...
So if u find someone or I ever do please pm....Thanks Jay
Old 02-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtimmons View Post
I have a 2019 3911 and had my local mobility dealer add a remote for the power lift door. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap. Makes things much better.

Check with a good local mobility modifier. If they don't know how to do it they can call my dealer and hopefully get the needed info. Access Options - 831-722-6804.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #52

2009 Winnebago Journey w/ramp

I've posted in the classified section. Richon Lift, Hand Controls, Roll-in shower. Many features - handicap features.

Search for my username in classified section for info.
AcftEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #53

Hello , We Just purchased a 2016 used Newmar 3911. When I shut off the motor the handicapped door open on its own. Am I doing something wrong? Thank in advance.
Dave in VA.
tremor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #54

I don't have an answer for you but I suspect there might be a malfunction in the safety device that prevents the door from opening when the ignition is on.

Might try calling Newmar.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #55

That is strange. I bought a 2017 canyon star 3911. The door will not open if the engine is running, this is with the air powered actuator for the door. When you turn the Rv off it will open with the remote only. Not sure if you have the same actuator. It is air powered, the air compressor is below the lift in the compartment next to the tv. It is right where my dirt devil vacuum is located. Not sure if you have the same model. There is a blue valve hooked to the air hose. If you ever get locked in or out you can turn that valve to release the air pressure and that allows you to open and close the door manually. I know that you are having a problem with the door opening when you shut the motor off, that is not right. Just letting you know how my newmar works. Hope it can help in some way.
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:36 AM   #56

Smile Sling Lift for Handicapped Son

Hi All,
We are brand new to RVing and I'll tell you my brief story with the hope it can help others. We have a 37 year old son with CP and have looked at getting a Motorhome for years, but couldn't justify the cost of buying new with a Wheelchair Lift, or find one used. We had given up on being able to get out on the road. We live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and had a bucket list to drive across Canada to see this wonderful country we live in, but had given up on that. We found a company out of New York called Access Unlimited that makes personal Sling Lifts to be able to lift our son out of his wheelchair, raise him up into the coach and into a seat for travel. Once we found a different way to get Stephen into a Motorhome, it really didn't take too long to find a Unit that would work for us. We bought a Thor Hurricane and still had to do quite a bit to it with handholds etc. but now we are ready to take off on holidays this summer and next year, we are off to the Far East... This is not an advertisement for this company, but I encourage everyone to check them out on YouTube because they have 100's of setup in every type of vehicle you can imagine...
Bob VI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, newmar, handicap, mobility, class b