Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #15

The thing I liked about Street Atlas, is that I could give it the basic parameters, and then after observing the route, I could insert "VIAs" to change to other roads, or to go through where a friend lives, or to go to a favorite RV Park, etc.

BUT ALAS they decided to STOP producing it. After a couple of years, the roads, etc. are out of date. I didn't like the MS version at all.

Of course that may have to do with the fact that once I turned 60, I lost my GEEK.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #16

I'm getting the idea it's $39 well spent. I think I'll call them and ask how it sets up with CoPiolet etc. As I said earlier I like good customer service and look forward to a good experience.

Harry
Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use it for basic trip planning and find it a convenient way to see potential stops along my route. It also is a nice way to keep a record of past trips.

It is not designed as a real time navigation tool. My GPS and MAPS.ME iPad app do that for me.

No trip planning system is perfect but I think it is worth giving it a try. The only real downside is that there is no off-line capability so you must have internet access.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #18

Hi Don,

I was thinking about what you said about "no off-line capability". Although that would be great to have, it's at least good to know you can get a good printout! My wife has always liked to use something on paper so this will be good for her.

I'm frankly delighted with the positive comments!

Harry
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an old copy of MS Streets and Trips which I have used for years and on long trips. Also use a spreadsheet.

If I remember correctly, I tried using Trip Wizard on my western trip earlier this year, and I ran into a problem where it was larger (more days and stops) than Trip Wizard could handle, and I was forced to split the trip up into sections. Gave up on that and went back to MS S&T. I did like what I saw in Trip Wizard, but not sure I want to spend $40 bucks each year.

Since I frequently change trips on the fly, and of course I always seem to be in areas with minimum network connectivity, I want/need an app that can work in disconnected mode.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
First, there is NO such thing as a stand alone PERFECT trip planner! I've used Trip Wizard with great success. I love the "distance rings" as I try to limit my travel distance per day. As others have said when you select a CG it shows the distance from the last stop which I find really helpful. I really like the ability to download the trip in Excel format which I then tailor. I delete the cost and lat/log columns and add a "CG Comments" column that I fill in as we travel... I'm getting old and after years of crisscrossing the country the CGs all begin to blur. I keep copies of all of our completed trips to refer back to when planning a new trip (see attached). Lastly I keep seeing references to "loading the trip" into GPS... I do not understand this need... I load each stop the night before departure into my GPS for the next days travel... Works well!! Now, I started by saying there is no perfect planner! Once I have a trip planned I print it out and cross check the CGs against RV Park Reviews and I call them up in Google Maps set to satellite view... Yes, I drive a Big Rig and am somewhat anal about where I take my rig. For those of you that want to plan on the fly, All Stays Camp & RV would be a better fit for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4Th July 2017.pdf (440.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #21

Hey Ken,

Thanks for that printout that is really very cool and most important easy to follow. I'm quite surprised by all the good comments because we generally hear yelling and fighting and gnashing of teeth! And of course we all enjoy a good gnashing...

And I agree with you on the perfect part Ken because I hear that from my wife all the time. Followed by my mother's coming for two weeks. I hate that!

Harry
Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 PM   #22

It is well worth the asking price and is a nice tool to use along with the rest of your trip planning. We used for several recent trips and it is a nice planner. I like to keep driving time to about 6 hours a day plus stops and you can give a mileage or time daily range. We use the RV760 GPS and a plain old road atlas for the actual fine details on the route but as an overall planner it works good. Plus it costs less than 15 gallons of diesel fuel.
Vern
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Red,

The problems you had, was it with an older version or the current one version 5?

Charlie, it sounds like you were happy with their customer service? That's a big deal with me! At very least talk to me and try to help. That's a big deal.

Harry
It was an earlier version.

They responded immediately, and even explained why I was having one of the issues.

I was happy with their customer service.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #24

Thanks Charlie, Great news.

I was telling my DW about the program this morning and she said what I did earlier. She doesn't remember the last time she heard about anything with full agreement! I need to buy it for that reason alone.

One other question. How is it on "points of interest"? It would be way cool if it did a good job at that. Where you could click an icon on the map and it's shows "Space museum", where you could click and get the info about it.

That's what we do is all about, seeing stuff!!

Harry
Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just bought it and are learning on the fly this trip. Some things we like are distance from last stop. Not exact since we don't even know our route until we drive it, but certainly close enough. We like knowing what discounts a cg offers. We like the circles for distance, it gives a quick reference for how long a day you want.

We still use the truckers atlas to get a quick idea what route we want since we avoid interstates and prefer "red" roads. The Wizard works well for cg planning and info. I generally have the truckers atlas open, and wizard and Passport America tabs and toggle between them. The wizard shows pa discounts but does not have near the data about the cg pa has.

We also bought Allstays Pro this season, but do not plan to renew it. Good program, just do not need them all.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #26

Hey georgelesley, What are Red Roads and pa's?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Trip Plan

Here is my routine. I rely on Campendium a lot for where to stay. Once in Campendium, each campground (pay, BLM, Natl Forest, City-State-Natl. Park) has GPS coordinates. Just click the GPS coordinates and google maps takes you there.

Normally when planning a long trip I use Excel spreadsheets. Use campendium, validate on Google maps and then copy and paste into excel. Send the excel to my phone and voila, my trip plan has active links to the gps location of the planned stopping points (including fuel if I am being anally retentive).

zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RV Trip Wizard has been much improved since the same parent company that owns IRV2 bought it and put a team of programmers on it to expand on the initial version. Many of my initial complaints have been addressed.

I loved the old Trailer Life software and Microsoft Streets and trips, but the current version of RTW is getting closer all the time. It is dependent on an internet connection to make changes or updates. The up side of this is you don't have to worry about software updates, you'll automatically see them as they are installed.

As example, I put in my fuel parameters, my average mpg, tank size, and how much I'd like to keep in reserve, the program will show me on my route where I've hit my reserve level. I'll start searching for fuel stops near there. I try to use Pilot/Flying J where possible and I can "filter" for those. Once I've entered a fuel stop I can edit that entry to show I've refilled and it will then show me where the next stop should be. I have found the software does not have 100% of the Pilot/Flying J locations, but it is getting better (I supplement my fuel stop information with the "Trucker Path" phone app and the Pilot web site).

Like others, I like the mileage "rings". They are, however, as the "bird flies", not actual route distance, but close enough. Again, it helps show me where I should start my search for enroute stops.

New updates do let you add "VIAs".

Like any software or app, there is a learning curve, it's just a matter of degrees. For example, I've still not learned how to download the route to my GPS.

If you travel a lot, well worth the price.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard