Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Is solo RVing hard?

Soo I'm basically sitting on my brother's property. Been living in this Aspin Trail 27' since December 2019. I have not taken this rig on its first trip yet. Mostly doing preventive maintenance and getting acclimated to living the lifestyle with full hookups. Getting my feet wet.

Really curious what it would be like to travel around by myself. I'm 26 and have no clue how many people my age are doing this.

I have a buddy that was supposed to move in with me. Talked about it for the past month. However, he is in a financial pickle and barely has $1000 saved up. So looks like I'm going Solo without him.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to find people that are interested in traveling too. Like a travel buddy or someone dependable. Be nice to have someone to chat with and share experiences.

If not that, a club of some type for people that are still in there 20's.

Really I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. I'm watching tons of videos and spending my time reading in this forum. Taking it day for day. Hopefully end up somewhere that is pleasant in this adventure. I'm eager to travel and explore. I've worked my butt off for the past few years. I figured traveling in a RV would be well worth it. We shall see..
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not take it to a couple of local or state parks nearby and get used to it.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

To answer your question directly, no, solo RVing is not hard.

To be a bit less direct, there are some challenges, but with those challenges come rewards. Being solo means that you're doing all of the dirty work. You're setting up and tearing down campsite every single time. But you'll get good at it, and before you know it, it becomes a quick 10 minute job. You're fixing things that break, and trust me, something will break. But you'll learn to be a better handyman, which is a very useful skill to have. You're doing all the maintenance, which you're already learning. But you'll be better able to know when something is wrong when you're more familiar with the systems. It can be lonely sometimes, but campgrounds are normally full of social friendly people. Being solo means there's nobody to make a bowl of chicken noodle soup for you when you get sick, but there's also nobody slowing you down when you're not sick and are determined to make it to the top of Angel's Landing before it gets too late to get that beautiful sunset panorama. It's boring sometimes, but maybe you'll take up photography. Then you'll go back to Angel's Landing to get a better picture because you learned how bad the first one you took is.

You're 26. That's pretty young for solo full time RVing. In fact, I'm 38 and one of the younger people on the forum. You are considering something uncommon for your age, but don't let that deter you. Kahoona made a wonderful suggestion. If you want to know what you're getting into, jump in. Take a week long trip to a nearby state park. That will show you what you need to learn.

As far as finding other people interested in traveling with you goes, I'm of no help. I have no idea how to do that. I'm extremely introverted and practically never go out in search of other people. If Thanos would wipe out half the human population, I'd be okay with it. That is, as long as he leaves me with a grocer and a pizza place. It would be kinda awkward to have to start growing my own food.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

for me, I'm going to start because of the lifestyle, the adventure, and the people I meet along the way. I don't really care their age. The way I am looking at it, either they've been at it longer and can offer insight and experiences, or maybe I have and I get to share the same with them

It's not going to work everyday with the same group of people. Been there done that, its boring till one of you leaves or gets fired. I think its about expanding yourself and learning to get to know people of all different sorts.
rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:48 AM   #5

Life is full of adjustments and trade offs. You just have to decide what it is that fits your needs, then go for it. Just because others your age aren't RV'ing doesn't mean you can't. Being outside the "NORM" can be a lot of fun. Good luck and keep us posted.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post

You're 26. That's pretty young for solo full time RVing. In fact, I'm 38 and one of the younger people on the forum.
Whew! And I was beginning to think that at 45 I was the youngest here on these forums. Glad to know there are at least two of you younger than me.

Im going full-time this year and I will be solo as well. Except for my 4-legged fur babies. I'm a little nervous because it has been a while since I've been by myself as I currently room with my brother. When I go full-time it will be double the shock for me - being alone and being mobile. I'm nervous but looking forward to it.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
Be nice to have someone to chat with and share experiences.
I like the way you put that. If you 'need' someone to with you then it is going to be harder.

While I had often enjoyed traveling solo, I knew I would be 'chatting' with DW wife about where I went. It was very hard after she died.

I think it is better to be solo than to travel for extended periods with someone that is not right.

So I enjoy my alone time and I enjoy visiting friends and family. One of the nice things about being solo in an RV is I have my own space at the end of the day.

If you meet an interesting person exchange email addresses.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

Life's adventure is what you make of it. Some people choose to live a quite simple life that for others would be too boring. Most full timers are retired couples, but every other walk of life can also be found living the full time life. My 30's single niece is a full timer and freelances in photography. She loves the life style and has quite a network of friends across the US. Of course, the older family members are always worried about her and would rather have her living a conventional lifestyle. But hey, it's her life and she only gets one shot at it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Being solo is not really harder, you just have to do everything your self, but in a way that is easier. I have a 38' Monaco Windsor Motor Home and often travel with several married friends that have motor homes also. The couples sometimes get snippy at each other when setting up and getting ready to go. I just get it done since the dog does not talk back. The motor home is easy to set up on arrival. I do tow a trailer to carry my Jeep and loading the Jeep is the thing that takes the longest.
Steveyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
laj

great lesson there[emoji848]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:14 AM   #11

The Escapees has a group for younger fulltime and t bgg eye have meetups. Look for Xscapers.
Blaklily56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #12

Solo isnt hard. Get a system or to do list and check it off when traveling. Beats having someone to tell what to do next or waiting on them to get there crap done so you can do yours. How many times ive seen people waiting on the other. Frustrating and id not be willing to endure it. I would do what needs done and ride. with or without them. Time.to.go.is when i pull out not wait for them.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
laj

how true that is, love it[emoji850]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #14

Not Hard

It definitely is not hard. I am 34 and I just bought my first motorhome. I plan on going out either solo, or with friends. I also have thought about taking a different position in my company to work remote and travel full-time. I think it depends on personality. Depending on my mood, sometimes I like to just be by myself, other times I love meeting new people and striking up conversations. I think rving you will meet so many people from all walks of life, it definitely shouldn't be a dull moment.

Happy trails, and you are in Alabama, me in Georgia, who knows, we might run in to each other at some point. Enjoy the travels!
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving, solo