Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Roll over on single axle blowout

How serious is the risk of a single axle trailer rolling over if a tire blows out on the highway?
fwschreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #2

Slim......

Tire blows out....rides on rim

Loose the whole wheel assembly and trailer drops down onto ground...drags/spindle digs in ---then you might have an issue

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Now this is what we came upon on RT. 26 in Columbia NC if I recall during our trip back to NE for a visit this summer. We were heading from Summerville NC state to our next stop in Gladys, Va of Rt. 81.
I don't think it was an axle that gave out though... I see the Tractor Trailer park on the side with Drivers side front end damage. Not sure if he hit the TT or the TT hit him... no idea. Good news seems the owners might be out walking around the flipped TT and it's tow vehicle. Glad it wasn't me on that side... I think we saw traffic back up for many miles...
Though as luck we have it on our return trip to Florida we ran into similar traffic due to a MVA.
Anyway be safe and prepared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210604_122924.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	343793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210604_123021.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	343794  

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
If you get into trailer wag bad enough, that is exactly what will happen.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwschreiber View Post
How serious is the risk of a single axle trailer rolling over if a tire blows out on the highway?
Little to non has been my experience with a blow out or a run flat or lost the wheel.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #6

Thank you

Thanx to all who replied. Still leaning to a double axle trailer, but nice to know a single axle isn't asking for catastrophe!
fwschreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #7

I went with a single axle this time. I wanted smaller and simpler. No issues. There's too many factors involved with trailer, mostly people not knowing what they are doing and trying to fix it with gadgets they buy instead of learning how to. Just having a single axle is not ever going to cause a roll over. Look closer at this, it's a double axle pictured.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:10 AM   #8

FYI...when I got my single axle TT, I knew it had cheap tires sized at the bare minimum and that I would be replacing them. I watched them and maintained them as close as i could. leaving a park, keeping an eye on them, one started to wiggle as it rolled. Stopped and looked an it was coming apart, like I expected, so they both got their planned replacement o that trip.

My maintenance and keeping an eye on things, and properly planning the replacement kept me out of a mess.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

Only problem I can see with a single axle is the inability to limp it very far if you need to. We had several when we started RVing but never had an issue. Don't buy cheap tires.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Only problem I can see with a single axle is the inability to limp it very far if you need to. We had several when we started RVing but never had an issue. Don't buy cheap tires.
I hear this quite often. If you have a blow out, it is unlikely you are going to be able to limp along without tearing up something in the process. All of that loose rubber is going to be hitting everything! Brake lines, fenders, other tires, not to mention possibly ruining the aluminum wheel. The only limping that should be going on, is you getting your vehicle off the road & onto the shoulder.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #11

I can attest to the fact that it doesn't feel at all sketchy, as I just experienced this on a recent trip to NY. The passenger side tire exploded and ripped to shreds at about 65 MPH. Tire came apart so quickly that the rim was dented when it hit the pavement. The trailer did not feel like it was anywhere near tipping over or unstable. I was able to quickly slow the trailer and pull over to the side without any loss of control.

In my case, I was lucky that the tire bits and exposed cords didn't do more damage to the wheel well and undercarriage. As luck would have it, all the wires for the rear of the trailer and the brakes were run down the driver side of the trailer. Had it been that side that blew, I suspect far more damage would have been done.

Scariest part of the whole tire change operation was using the truck jack to lift the trailer--without a dedicated cradle to hold the jack securely to the frame rail, I was holding my breath every time a semi would blow by at 70+ MPH and rock the entire rig. Needless to say, I didn't get any part of my body under the trailer or between the wheel and the undercarriage!!!
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #12

One thing I've seen is people tend to store their tools for changing tires on the drivers side. They don't use them for camping so camp stuff goes on the passenger side. Then something happens and they have to stand in the roadway to get out a tool needed. Something to think about before you need it.

it helps too to practice changing a tire. Even if it's not flat. At home. With no reason to panic or rush. Figure out what you need and don't need. Figure out the best place to store tools. Figure out if you spare is buried deep into a compartment with tons of junk to remove to get to it.

Before your in a real hurried situation on the side of a hot or raining or freezing or dark busy road.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had both passenger tires blow out at the same time on a 27' Komfort travel trailer at about 55 mph. It didn't roll over, however the trailer did begin to sway a bit like the wind was blowing it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:04 AM   #14

"One thing I've seen is people tend to store their tools for changing tires on the drivers side. They don't use them for camping so camp stuff goes on the passenger side. Then something happens and they have to stand in the roadway to get out a tool needed. Something to think about before you need it."

The brainiac that designed our 5er decided to mount the spare standing up and well secured of the road side in the storage. Had a flat, no problem right. Called the local Police to run interference as there was no shoulder. They got there within minutes. I unbolted the spare retainer and discovered that the door on that side was smaller than the tire. I was so happy.

Tags
single