Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #1

Dual pane to single pane windows

Hello,

I have an older Tradewinds class A that has the usual creep and fogging between the panes. I've read some threads about converting to single pane and I understand the differences in insulation value etc.

Just wondering if anyone here has done the job and if so, what did you use to take up the space that the second pane of glass plus the gasket material between the panes took up?

Thanks
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #2

Why? Lots of places can repair the fogging issue. Probably more cost effective too.
Good luck
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

I can do the actual repair myself but I've read varying accounts of repaired dual pane windows lasting 2 years to 17 years. A single pane window won't fog up. Might frost up or get condensation in the right environment but we only use the coach in warm weather.
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had most of my windows done by coach glass replacing dual panes to single panes and We've been very happy with them. We are full timing and every so often we might get some condensation on the inside, but not too bad. I'd do it again if asked. If you're looking to do it yourself, just have to find a glass shop that will make you the panes you need and pay close attention to the thickness as the manufacturers had a few different ones.
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #5

Having owned travel trailers with single pane windows, and now a MH with double pane windows, I wouldn't replace a double pane window with a single pane window as I like not having to worry about condensation, they reduce noise and have a better insulation factor. Would you really be saving that much money? But strictly my opinion and you have to do what you need to do.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

I'd also urge you not to do it as that will be expensive too.

But if you decide to you have your window seals fixed, have them done by a professional with a good reputation. I used to recommend the kits and attempting to DIY for saving money but from all that I can gather, the kits and the folks who have attempted the repair themselves have had problems with them re-fogging again in a relatively short amount of time.

I think it has more to do with sealing it properly and injecting the gas between the panes where doing it yourself is difficult to accomplish that if it's even worth attempting to accomplish it at all.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #7

Just for basic understanding. Dual pain windows do not have inert gas injected between the pains. They are assembled in ambient air. Thermal pain windows do have inert gas injected between the pains until the ambient air is displaced by it.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:44 PM   #8

^ ah hah. Ok then. I seem to be making a fool of myself more often than not on the forum lately, lol. Time to take a break.

No matter, it seems we hear about those doing it as a DIY project having trouble with fogging again sooner than if done by a professional. But that's just my casual observation.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csracing View Post
Hello,

I have an older Tradewinds class A that has the usual creep and fogging between the panes. I've read some threads about converting to single pane and I understand the differences in insulation value etc.

Just wondering if anyone here has done the job and if so, what did you use to take up the space that the second pane of glass plus the gasket material between the panes took up?

Thanks
There are a few youtube videos about fixing these windows. It is not difficult nor expensive and you'll be much happier with the dual pane glass. Single pane won't fit right in the tracks and won't match the seals. And the work to replace dual with single is about the same as just fixing the dual pane glass!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #10

As already mentioned.
If you change to single pane windows, they will rattle in the track and leak air. So the track will need to be change also.
I have been repairing the duel pane window on my 95 Bounder for years and haven't had a failure yet, to the ones I've repaired. I do cheat a little and flush them with nitrogen.

Richard
Old 07-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #11

I have read a couple times over the years of owner removing one of the dual pane window panes. I recall they just carefully busted one of them with a hammer. I can't remember if it was the outside or the inside pane but I'm pretty sure I read it on iRV2 so do some searching.

I'm with others that say that the fogging and rubber wiggling problem with that one brand of windows now has many shops that know how to deal with it and can give you a long lived set of dual pane windows where the seal won't move. You'll have to google that yourself as I've not had the wiggling seal issue so I don't have the links.

I did have to deal with the old fashioned dual pane windows years ago, and came up with a DIY fix that worked rather well because they stayed moisture free for several years afterwards. You didn't say how old your Tradewinds rig is but I came up with this DIY fix on a '94 Bounder. Here's a link to my ad free articles about it: Double Pane Windows...

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it.

Oh, yeah, there aren't any 'gas filled' dual pane windows in RVs that I've ever heard of because an RV is undergoing tiny earthquakes on the road all the time, plus they get racked often so the gas would quickly leak out anyway, so it would be a waste of money.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:39 PM   #12

The advantage to single pains in hot weather is you can put aluminum bubble wrap on the inside. I imagine many of the dual panes have been ruined from just that.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
The advantage to single pains in hot weather is you can put aluminum bubble wrap on the inside. I imagine many of the dual panes have been ruined from just that.
How would that 'ruin' them? I've done it for years. Have the bubble wrap on several of my current dual pane windows in the RV right now. When installed the way I do, the bubble wrap fits inside mostly in the window channels with a small gap between the wrap and the glass...usually.

Oh, and I'd like to mention that dual pane is what I looked for in an RV and the noise abatement, the comfortable temp range that I experience from having them is worth the trouble. Though I've not had any trouble with the ones I have in this Winnebago.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
How would that 'ruin' them? I've done it for years. Have the bubble wrap on several of my current dual pane windows in the RV right now. When installed the way I do, the bubble wrap fits inside mostly in the window channels with a small gap between the wrap and the glass...usually.

Oh, and I'd like to mention that dual pane is what I looked for in an RV and the noise abatement, the comfortable temp range that I experience from having them is worth the trouble. Though I've not had any trouble with the ones I have in this Winnebago.
The heat is what pops the seal. It's getting toasted on the in and the out. Well known problem in the southwest. And... Noise is stopped by glass thickness not panes. 1/4 is 1/4 wouldn't matter in one pane or 3.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, wind, window