Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Something is always gonna break. Don't panic. Just take a breath & deal. It'll all work out.
I think this is great suggestion. If you decide to go into RVing, just remember that it's not if, but when. Don't freak out and get too excited if something breaks down, depending on the severity of course, but know that it will ultimately work out. It's already happened so you can't make it unhappen.

When we first started all of this, we were certainly not DIYers. What we did do was learn through asking others and getting on as many YouTube videos as possible. I had never driven anything larger than a pickup, but I got on YouTube and reviewed many videos regarding driving a large RV. I practiced and finally developed the skill necessary to safely drive one. I had a few hick-ups but I knew I would make some mistakes and learned from those mistakes. An example is that I curbed it pretty bad one time and we lost a good set of dishes that flew out of the cabinet. I most certainly learned from that mistake and re-watched more videos regarding turning and what to do and not to do. I also bought a good dish carrier that had felt linings and pouches that would withstand a good drop.

Also, I sought out a good mechanic that was trustworthy and could assist me when there was something I could not fix. This was not easy but again I took my time and looked for reviews on Google. Google can be your friend and don't be afraid to use it.

We will be making our longest trip in the fall when we travel from Indianapolis to Palm Springs for the winter. I'm hoping we will experience a care free and safe travel experience. At the same time, I'm expecting that something is going to happen and that we're going to have to deal with it. Luckily, we're retired and not on a schedule like others who still are employed. This will be to our advantage as we are taking our time and driving as safe as possible. I usually don't go over 63 mph anyway but we're not going to be in any hurry on this trip.

Anyway, just enjoy yourself and be prepared to deal with issues when they arise. Also, make sure RVing is really something you want to get into before you jump in with both feet. We both knew that this is something we really wanted to do when we retired and we wanted to prepare ourselves before hand.

Please enjoy yourselves, be safe and learn. Happy Camping!!
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #86

Best and easiest advice for newbies...

Never go into someplace unless you've already figured out how you'll get out of that place! Particularly with a class A with a toad.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-one View Post
The older the rig gets, the more likely the electrical problem is a loose connection.
At least on my rig.

And/or corrosion
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
Never go into someplace unless you've already figured out how you'll get out of that place! Particularly with a class A with a toad.

Yep, and don’t trust just because you got through there last year nothing has changed. I went around the side of a gas station I have been to a dozen times knowing that I could exit to the service road… woops! There was construction blocking the exit and I ended up having to squeeze behind the building pretty much through the McDonalds drive through. You better believe I got some wide eyed looks from the drive up window lol. 40’ MH and golf cart trailer.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #89

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Prepare for problems. We have never had as many problems with our first two RVs as we have with our Class A. Sometimes wish we had the 5th wheel back. My advice is, every trip is an adventure with new things to learn (fix). Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:30 AM   #90

Use your body!!!

Use your ears, use your nose, use your eyes...
Listen to your rig... Know your "normal" noises...
Use your nose... Smell for any "abnormal" smell...
Use your eyes... Look over your rig in and out before moving... And look UP...
If needed put a reminder on the driving wheel... I have a "Danger' ribbon on the wheel, if the antenna is up, or the step saver is under the electric steps...

And finally... use your memory... remember you wanted this!!!
Enjoy!!!
madame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
2008 Tiffin Phaeton Cl A DP 40' pulling Equinox flat tow
I've owned 3 class A RVs, starting in 2017, living full time in RV since 2019
Retired at the end of 2021 and traveling full time since
I was at a campground last week and met a guy that just bought a CL A his first RV.
He asked me what would be my single best piece of advice for him
After thinking a little I said
"Keep it simple in all things"
I think that I have realized that less is more and simple is better, (in so far as possible and where it makes sense)
RVs - all the bells and whistles on new RVs are slick and great comforts when they work but when they fail they can be difficult to diagnose and repair .... e.g. Aquahot type systems, heated floors, etc, as well as low voltage lighting control systems, are handy but again a pain to diagnose and repair, etc, etc.
RV accessories - I have a blackstone grill and many accessories. I don't always get it out at campgrounds as it is heavy and takes time to set up then later clean up and pack back up. If I had a $20 cheapo round small charcoal grill, it would be light, quick to set up and pack up ... and if it got too dirty ... I could throw it away and buy another. Few fancy accessories needed.
My single best advice to him based on my experience was in all things RV wherever it makes sense .... keep it simple
What would your single best advice on RV'g be?
Yes, keep it simple. Take half as much stuff and twice as much cash. And, don't read all the dumb suggestions on these forums. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a, single