Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Water Heater Element

If the water heater element is the same as the one in a S&B home, & those can last 8 to 10 years, why do we need to turn the water heater switch off when we are finished using the hot water?

You don't have to turn it off when living in a S&B home.

Is it because it is more difficult to replace, being in a MH?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
If the water heater element is the same as the one in a S&B home, & those can last 8 to 10 years, why do we need to turn the water heater switch off when we are finished using the hot water?

Because you don't empty the home WH to winterize it then forget to turn the element off that's why. You don't turn it off when your finished using it. you turn it off when you empty it.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water Heater Element

Quote:
.......why do we need to turn the water heater switch off when we are finished using the hot water?.... ?
We don’t need to.

Quote:
Is it ... more difficult to replace, being in a MH?
No; if anything, it’s probably easier.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:

We only turn on our electric water heater for about 1 hour in the evening before doing dishes and 2 showers. This will save about 2/3 of the power usage vs leaving the heater on all day. The only true danger is when you move the RV and start the water heater if the tank had drained, the element will burn out. It is best to make sure the water is hooked up and turned on before turning on the electric heating element.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

Who said you had to turn it off. Our switch is outside, so it stays on all of the time unless we are in an area with only 30 amps and need to keep an air conditioner going.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

As stated above.........

You do NOT have to turn it off UNLESS you are going to drain water heater.

You can turn it on...leave it on even if/when you disconnect from AC Power Source.

Element (and propane) are T-stat controlled so element is only energized when t-stat closes (110*F/Atwood---100*F/Suburban)
When water temp reaches t-stat set point the t-stat opens (140*F/Atwood---130*F/Suburban)

Same if using propane.....on/off via t-stat

Just have to remember to turn it off WHEN DRAINING otherwise leave it ON if you want to

Elements will burn out very quickly when not submerged in water.
Changing out the element difficulty level: moderate to extremely depending on Brand of water heater and access availability

Suburban....easiest due to element located in outside compartment

Atwood....harder because element is located on backside of WH Tank
(Access can be easy to very limited to non-existent where water heater has to be removed to get to backside)

I turn ours ON when we set up at camp site and turn it OFF when breaking camp
I want HOT water when I go to use the HOT water.......not 20 minutes later while I wait for the water to be heated.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

We are full-time now and leave it on electric all the time. If we only have 30 amps I will run it on propane as it’s sometimes difficult to operate the rest of the coach if you’re using half your available power for hot water.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
why do we need to turn the water heater switch off when we are finished using the hot water?
On our 30A coach, I turn it off if I find the air conditioning, microwave, washer/dryer or hair dryer more important to run.

In New Hampshire we pay the highest electricity rates in the nation (or so I've read). We had an always-on 40-gal electric water heater in the "sticks-and-bricks" until it failed, at which time I swapped out for a propane heater. It is less expensive to operate. Your mileage may vary.

In the RV, we keep both sides of the heater off until 30 minutes before we need it, then turn on the 120V side. Then we turn on the propane side at time of use, for faster recovery. I suspect there are no significant electricity savings to do it this way. Perhaps I just prefer not to see the water heater switches lit up all the time- have had to replace two for burned-out bulbs (now LEDs) ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:

I'm trying to read between the lines here and I think you're basically asking, "by turning off the HWH when not in use will it make the HWH last longer"? Or something along those lines.

Your S&B HWH is in a fixed location and gets the same water supply all the time. With an RV HWH, and especially when you're traveling around the country, the water supply hardness varies a lot. Which is what really affects the life expectancy of a HWH. Not turning it OFF and ON.

So if I'm reading your post correctly, an you're interested in prolonging the life of your HWH this video should help.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Water Heater Element

Just a little thing but we have a water heater (HW), don’t need to heat water that is hot. ;-)
Blog
Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Just a little thing but we have a water heater (HW), don’t need to heat water that is hot. ;-)
:wh istling: LOVE IT!!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
:wh istling: LOVE IT!!

Stop for a moment and think about it.

Water heater heats up COLD water on initial heat cycle.
After that it is 'reheating' hot water to a hotter temp
(T-stat closes at 110*F that by definition is HOT)

SO in essence it is a HOT Water Heater

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Not if you are always turning off the heater as so many seem to do.
Blog
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #14

Oh great, now I'm really confused! I turn my (heater thing) off when not being used so I must have a WH, whereas the camper next site over leaves his (heater thing) on all the time so he must have a HW?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, heat, heater, water, water heater