Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #1

Please see the new thread, 2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #2

Bill- You have posted one of the best "how to's" I have ever read. You have made this application very simple to understand. I have one question for you...I have an '06 Wrangler towd- Is the fuse removal equally necessary and just as simple. I have towed my wrangler many times and never had an issue with a drained battery. Thank You.

Rick Coleman
Old 04-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #3

Good info Bill. I am setting up my Liberty for towing this summer. I have checked out Roadmaster and Blue Ox products. I am leaning towards Ox.

I like that wiring harness. Wish there was one for the Liberty.

I am also going to take a look under the hood for the IOD fuse. The Liberty owners manual did not speak to fuse removal in the section on four down towing.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
For someone that wants to go the add an additional bulb to the tail light (makes no sense), here are some pics showing the tail lights with the additional bulb added...

WHY would you drill and such /... invasive when you can have a easy install harness that gives you more lights luminated/visibility. Go the harness root(see link to harness above) and not the additional bulb route as pictures below show.

Added bulb in hole
Hey, those look like my tail lights! I installed the bulbs before there was much information about using the trailer harness connection. While the harness connection is clearly better, the bulbs are working fine.

Devin
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

Bill,

What modifications are required to install the base plate? Is it expensive? Any comments would be helpfull. Thanks

2003 F350 DRW
Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As I mentioned in my first post here, do not use

Bill - thanks for the info. I always appreciate your contributions to the RV forums.

I quoted above because it took me a bit to figure out you were recommending the above harness. I kept searching around for the one that you *were* recommending Mental lapse. I ordered the kit to replace my magnetic lights I have been using. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been using the Mopar a-frame towbar since I got my JK in January. No big complaints (other than it really sucks to set it up solo), but it just doesn't give me much confidence as far as integrity. I would like to find a place in my travels that can do a good install on the B/O baseplate (not carrying very many tools with me).

Question: do you know if the B/O baseplate bumper-dependent? I am looking at one day replacing the stock JK bumper with one of the aftermarket ones, and am concerned that may render the baseplate useless. Any info on that?

Thanks again for your help -

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #7

I have a 2007 Rubicon with winch. I am having problems with mounting a plate for 4 down. Has anyone any experience with towing with a winch. It seems that it uses the same holes for both winch and plate.

Thanks, Stan
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by stancourtney:
I have a 2007 Rubicon with winch. I am having problems with mounting a plate for 4 down. Has anyone any experience with towing with a winch. It seems that it uses the same holes for both winch and plate.

Thanks, Stan
Can you use something like these.I have a set on my 2000 wrangler. I have seen pics with these on jeeps that have other accessories ,just used longer bolts on top.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #9

Bill,

The dealership added the winch for me at the time I purchased it, but the bumper is the original stock.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bill - thanks again for the fuse suggestion/tip. Drove from Galvaston to Santa Fe this weekend, and had the fuse pulled with no ill affects. I was happy to see that the cigarette lighter was still active, as I use a Brake Buddy.

I received my harness adapter in the mail last week, so I will be working on that this week for the next leg of my travels.

Thanks again for the tip!!

--kev

Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Kev, How did the Cool Tech Harness install go?
I found the harness installs easily. A well made harness that works great. I'm also impressed with the Blue Ox BX1126 baseplate. Looks very nice on the '07 Wrangler.
Hey Bill - the harness is awesome. I installed it while I was in Santa Fe this week, and it performed flawlessly on the 1100 mile trip to Cali. Loved having all of the running lights on. Very simple install - probably 20 minutes total.

I did have two very small issues with the install. I had to buy another plug end, as end on the MH was the same gender as was provided. No biggie. The other thing was the length of the section of wire that goes between the MH and the Jeep. Seems that I need a piece twice as long as was supplied. It could be because I am using the a-frame towbar, and that is probably longer than a normal bar. But, I made it all work out.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am going to start looking for an installer for the base plate and see if I can get it set up before I leave these parts.

--kev

Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Cool Tech LLC, Inc. supplies a 4 pin connector but as you know many of us use 6 pin connector or another. Can't expect Cool Tech to know. As for the length of wire supplied by Cool Tech to go from the Toad to RV, I'm surprised Cool Tech even provides as that connection between the toad and RV is lets say another issue. Your "small issues"with the harness were not issues that could be a shortcoming of the Cool Tech harness kit. you agree the Cool Tech harness is a terrific!
Agreed. I did say I had an issue with the install. I had no expectations that Cool Tech would know what plug I have. I do have the 4-pin, but my issue was with the gender. No biggie. I didn't call the company and whine - I went to Pep Boys

Don't take my comments as complaints. I did mention the harness was awesome! When I get it all dialed in, I will post up some pics of my install and encourage other JK owners to do the same

--kev

Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
dignbubbs...
I knew you weren't complaining - just stating the problems YOU ran into on your own....

Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill, thanks for the terrific explanation on the JK toad setup. I have the Red Rock color (appears the same as yours) Unlimited auto trans and will be setting it up to replace an 05 Honda Element. Will transfer the SMI wireless brake controller. I ordered the Cool Tech light harness and decided to go with the Demco baseplate (no cutting) which is what I use on the Element. I have the Aluminator which I like very much. Your posts fill in the blanks.