Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #1

Ok Gordon

Holigan to Holigan, what in the world is a slober tube? I looked at your site and saw the pics. I think I have the same trouble with my 330 ISC. I plan on taking it to the Cummins repair shop one day to have them check out the "oil" leak I have. It looks just like your pics. How can I tell if this is my problem s/Toby (RM2-P1 -CGC Bramble/Sagebrush/NMV/NMR)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Ok Gordon

Holigan to Holigan, what in the world is a slober tube? I looked at your site and saw the pics. I think I have the same trouble with my 330 ISC. I plan on taking it to the Cummins repair shop one day to have them check out the "oil" leak I have. It looks just like your pics. How can I tell if this is my problem s/Toby (RM2-P1 -CGC Bramble/Sagebrush/NMV/NMR)
Old 07-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #3

Never heard of a slober tube, but my trumpet had a spit valve.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A slobber tube is a crankcase breather vent.

If they are short, any oil expelled can appear to be a leak.

Some folks extend them down as far as possible to let any excess oil go under the engine and keep things cleaner.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Some folks extend them down as far as possible to let any excess oil go under the engine and keep things cleaner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a note to say that slobber/blowby tubes are a thing of the past starting with the 07 engines. No longer permitted.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #6

Also if your slobber/blow-by tube is too short, the oil that is expelled from it collects on the engine side of the radiator (on rear-radiator coaches) and causes it to gunk up, and potentially overheating. Gotta clean the radiator 2X/year if this happens.

The newer CAT engines (built before January '07) have an extension on these tubes that drop it below the radiator.

They do drip oil (normal).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pusherman:

They do drip oil (normal)

How about installing a catch can with a piece of foam. empty the can now and again and no drip. Used to do this on high compression Volkswagen race engines.

Dieselclacker

Put baffles in can if necessary
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. Never knew I had one of those things. Use to droll a lot when I was younger looking at some young things, but now that I'm old its nice to know I have a slobber tube.

Now I have to figure out how to catch the oil without starting a fire. We're taking the motorhome to the East Bank CG this weekend, so when I get back I'll check it out. Its to much of a hassle to take it out from under the cover just to check it out, so I'll wait. s/Toby
Old 07-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry there Toby. Just saw your post.

From Puddle Pirate to Puddle Pirate!!

If you crawl under your motor home on the right side, look at the starter. Towards the front and between the starter housing and the block, you should see a hose end (if it was like my pics you will see oil all around it).

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #10

The old Detroits used to leak oil bad and all I ever heard them called was the "oil vent" or "blow by"...

And I thought a slobber tube was a drinking straw..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I posted this down in the Monaco section. Hope this post will help explain what I did to deal with this issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:
I'll add my bit here.

I crawled under the coach and was surprised to see this. I was worried at first that I might have a leak!

CLICK ON THE SMALL PICTURE TO ENLARGE. When the larger picture comes up, you can enlarge it to full size by clicking on "Full Size" over on the right side towards the top.

I found the answer - Slobber Tube! This is where the oil was exiting.

There is a tube that runs from the Envirogard - here:

Excess oil and pressure force oil out this tube and can foul your rear radiator, the face of your towed vehicle and maks one heck of a mess underneath.

The tube ends right at the starter - here:

This was the answer...

I ran a new 1 1/2 inch oil resistant line from the "Brick" Enviroguard on top of the engine down to this:

The 1 1/2 inch line runs down to a JAZ - 1 Quart Breather Bottle.

The oil collects safely in here, and since it has a breather on top, there is no blockage of the line.

When "I" choose to empty it, I can do so into a cup or other container without it spraying all over the place.

I can't take credit for this modification. As far as I know, this gentleman Chris showed us the way.

Bottom line - the bottom of the coach is now oil free and clean!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

Some folks extend them down as far as possible to let any excess oil go under the engine and keep things cleaner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a note to say that slobber/blowby tubes are a thing of the past starting with the 07 engines. No longer permitted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought they eliminated them in automobiles in 1963 going to positive crankcase ventilation. The last car I had with a breather tube was a 1962 Falcon. It took the diesel world 44 years to catch up?