Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
WHY WILL BOTH RV CUSTOMERS AND RV EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS PREFER OUR PRODUCTS IN 2010?

2010 is just around the corner, and with that comes a new emissions standard. While several other competitors have committed to using an SCR solution to meet 2010 standards, Navistar will use its proven in-cylinder advanced EGR solution.

What does this mean?
Body mounting will be easy. With the Navistar 2010 solution, there will be no additional hardware on the chassis and there will be minimal additional RV body builder chassis packaging requirements. That is in addition to the long-known advantages of the Diamond Logic electrical system, which allows for multiplexing.

There will be no payload penalty.
SCR hardware adds 300-400 lbs. in additional hardware to a truck. The Navistar advanced EGR emissions solution, which does not use SCR, does not add significant weight to the chassis. This means your customers will not have to reduce their payload when they buy equipment built on an International truck chassis.

Engine reliability and durability will be unchanged.
While other OEMs have been working to re-engineer their engines to include SCR technology, Navistar hasn’t. In fact, the Navistar 2010 emissions solution is the same solution that was brought to market in 2007. This approach means our customers will not have to rely on unproven technology.

Trucks will be easier to maintain.
Why? Our solution does not require the use of urea. For every hundred gallons of diesel fuel consumed, SCR systems will require 1-4 gallons of urea. These 15-gallon tanks will need to be filled periodically.

MYTHS AND FACTS ABOUT 2010 EMISSIONS

MYTH: SCR provides lowest operating cost because it improves fuel economy.
FACT: SCR will not yield lowest operating cost. Navistar expects its MaxxForce engines to be fuel economy neutral in 2010. In addition, any fuel economy savings from an SCR solution will be offset by the cost of urea, which must be added in similar quantity to the fuel saved. The cost of urea is currently about the same as diesel fuel but it will likely increase to finance infrastructure capacity. Actual operating costs for SCR will likely be very close to Navistar’s advanced EGR solution.

MYTH: Engine operating temperatures will be dangerously high with Navistar’s advanced EGR 2010 system.
FACT: Cooling capacity will be sized to keep operating temperatures at optimum levels, just like today. Cooling loads have increased over the years with power increases, air-conditioning, and stringent emissions regulations. Cooling capacity has always kept pace and will continue to do so.

MYTH: Adding an SCR catalyst will be just about like adding another DPF.
FACT: The catalyst itself is only a minor portion of an SCR system. A 10-15 gallon urea tank complete with insulation and heater, and the doser system to meter and inject urea are also in the picture. Taken together, SCR system components will take up more space than a 100 gallon fuel tank and will add 300 lbs. – 400 lbs. weight. Packaging will be a critical challenge, particularly on vehicles requiring clean cab-to-axle space for body mounting.

MYTH: In-cylinder systems will not be compliant.
FACT: All MaxxForce engines will be emissions compliant for 2010, just as they are today. If they weren’t, we couldn’t sell them. Some Navistar engines are currently below 2007 levels and the EPA encourages and rewards this. We will be able to phase into 2010 emissions regulations with in-cylinder technology because our engines are cleaner, earlier than required. Customers benefit through the longer and smoother transition.

Navistar, Inc.
4201 Winfield Road
Warrenville, IL 60555 USA
P : 630-753-5000
W : navistar.com

Media Contact:
Mark Johnson
Marketing Communications
630-753-3518
Mark.Johnson@Navistar.com
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

This will be interesting to follow.

edited to remove non-working link. ED
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Hummm; I don't know what happened to my previous Chicago Tribune link to that article, hope this one works.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I always presumed that the cause of the Navistar/Ford breakup was the high cost of warranty of the 6.0 6.4 ,
Those had to have been a few hard years financially.
The 7.3 was a workhorse in its last handful of years and the next engine model must have taken those two companies by surprise.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Lot's of decent folks loosing their jobs here ... Navistar Shutters Plant in Indy .... as Ford moves their diesel engine plant to Mexico.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #6

Does Ford actually have a full production SD diesel engine plant of their own ?
I thought they sub'd that all out.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
My understanding is that Ford gets the assembled block from Navistar minus all of the add-on stuff. Not real sure if the turbo is Ford's or Navistar's. All of the other external parts are put on by ford.

That is my understanding.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by K-Star:
That is my understanding.
According to my sources at Navistar, the engine ships complete ready to install. Think about it; why spend more money to build the engine twice when it can be done once at the Navistar plant.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Like I said, that was my understanding. Maybe the person tellling me was wrong. I don't know. Then again, maybe that is why Ford looses so much money.

I wonder if any cost savings will be passed on to Ford and eventually the consumer?????? Oh well I gotta go wait for the Easter Bunny to arrive.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #10

K-Star, it appears you are going to be more correct as in 2010, Ford is doing their own complete engine design (AND assembly too maybe?),
this is vearing from the original thread title of Navistar engines, but the navistar and ford relationship is of interest

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/ht...on-diesel-spied.html
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #11

Indianapolis/Marion county is reeling from the Navistar plant closing. That was some of the highest paying manufacturing jobs in the county. I have an aquaintance out of work now who worked there.