Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We have the above Microwave/convection oven on a 15amp breaker in our 2005 Winnebago Class A motorhome and have used it in the past with no problems. This last weekend, we encountered the following problem for the first time. Whether using the unit in micro or convection mode and setting the timer for over 1 minute, the unit shuts off at 59 seconds and after repressing the start button, it will continue. (Example):
1. Timer set for 3 minutes; unit runs for 59 seconds and shuts off; press start button and runs for 59 seconds and shuts off. This will occur until timer minutes on used. BTW, it's not tripping the 15amp breaker, which is shared with the fridge when this occurs.
I've even run the fridge on LP and tried it on the gennie with the same results. Our Enery Management System shows the unit (850Watts) to be pulling 14-17 amps (this seems rather high to me) when running with everything else in the motorhome shutdown. Our volt meter showed incoming volts between 117-120. Anyone have any ideas?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We have the above Microwave/convection oven on a 15amp breaker in our 2005 Winnebago Class A motorhome and have used it in the past with no problems. This last weekend, we encountered the following problem for the first time. Whether using the unit in micro or convection mode and setting the timer for over 1 minute, the unit shuts off at 59 seconds and after repressing the start button, it will continue. (Example):
1. Timer set for 3 minutes; unit runs for 59 seconds and shuts off; press start button and runs for 59 seconds and shuts off. This will occur until timer minutes on used. BTW, it's not tripping the 15amp breaker, which is shared with the fridge when this occurs.
I've even run the fridge on LP and tried it on the gennie with the same results. Our Enery Management System shows the unit (850Watts) to be pulling 14-17 amps (this seems rather high to me) when running with everything else in the motorhome shutdown. Our volt meter showed incoming volts between 117-120. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
paz

Our Sharp Convection Oven is rated at 850 watts output. The input is 1.6 kW (1600 watts) at 120 volts. An input of 1600 watts at 120 volts would draw a little over 13 amps. At 110 volts it would draw 14.5 amps. This is not too far from your numbers of 14-17 amps, although 17 amps seems a little high.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First off, the amperage you are seeing on your EMS is total amperage of coach. You probably are drawing a few for the battey charging. Try this for the micro/convection oven. Unplug the unit for about 10 seconds. Plug it back into power and reset the clock. Place a large bowl of water into the oven and retry your 3 minute test. If it continues to only run for the 59 seconds then the problem is that microprocessor has an internal problem and the control board will have to be replaced.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I'm kind of surprised that if the micro is pulling 15+ amps that it didn't trip the breaker. Will see if the Sharp tech support people respond to my E-Mail. So much for quality control on a 2 yr old unit.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 AM   #6

We had that happen to us also. Had to take the microwave/convection oven out to get it repaired, the tech said its a wire that needs to be resoidered.
Tom and Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could be a bad dampner switch/connection. My R1874 is doing the same thing. It started after a 1650 mile trip. Also, my internal vent fan dosen't seem to be working, since there is a great deal of moisture build-up during extended cooking. I suspect a loose connection since a common power point feeds both these items.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Got an E-Mail from Sharp tech support who gave me a short list of things to try. None of them worked so I guess I'll try and remove the unit and take it to a service center. Will be interesting to see if Sharp will cover the repairs on a (2) year old unit.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
Got an E-Mail from Sharp tech support who gave me a short list of things to try. None of them worked so I guess I'll try and remove the unit and take it to a service center. Will be interesting to see if Sharp will cover the repairs on a (2) year old unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just an alert-- it weighs 71 lbs. Also, do you have removal instructions?

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JC2

If you send a PM to me with your e-mail address, I will try to send you a copy of the repair manual for a R1874.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
Got an E-Mail from Sharp tech support who gave me a short list of things to try. None of them worked so I guess I'll try and remove the unit and take it to a service center. Will be interesting to see if Sharp will cover the repairs on a (2) year old unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just an alert-- it weighs 71 lbs. Also, do you have removal instructions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any pointers on what to loosen for removal would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
To remove the oven; first, unplug unit and remove the venting escusion from the top of the unit. THere should be a screw or two on top lip going down into tab on vent. Once this is off you may have a couple (one on each side) slotted bolts that need to be loosened. Get someone to help you hold and remove at this point. Then remove bolts that go down from the cabinet above into the top of the unit. Tilt the unit down and lift the back lower corner off the back mounting bracket and pull the unit out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
To remove the oven; first, unplug unit and remove the venting escusion from the top of the unit. THere should be a screw or two on top lip going down into tab on vent. Once this is off you may have a couple (one on each side) slotted bolts that need to be loosened. Get someone to help you hold and remove at this point. Then remove bolts that go down from the cabinet above into the top of the unit. Tilt the unit down and lift the back lower corner off the back mounting bracket and pull the unit out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not disagreeing with RV Wizard, however, if you have a model R1874 and it is located directly above your cooking area, the main securing bolts are located underneath the grease traps on the bottom of the unit. As RV Wizard stated, there will be 1 or 2 small screws at the front of the unit.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks RVW for the info. The Micro is mounted in a cabinet above the stove so hopefully it won't be to difficulet to remove. Will tackle the job after we get our rig back from a WorkHorse service center were they are replacing a bad LED speedo readout.