Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

I picked up my new 2006 Winnebago Journey yesterday and had a weird thing happen on the 30 mile drive home. After about 20 miles of driving, all of the dash board warning lights would lite up and then go around in a clock wise manner with each one of them liting up, taking about a second or so to make a full loop of each indicator a number of times. The coach was running fine and continued to run fine. When I hit the brake to stop at the exit, it stopped, the about a mile later it started up again, then when I stopped at the next light it stopped. While this was going on, the dashboard driver information center was blank.

I made it home just fine. Later that night when I drove it to the storage facility, everything was fine and no lights flashed or cycled.

Any thoughts?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #2

I picked up my new 2006 Winnebago Journey yesterday and had a weird thing happen on the 30 mile drive home. After about 20 miles of driving, all of the dash board warning lights would lite up and then go around in a clock wise manner with each one of them liting up, taking about a second or so to make a full loop of each indicator a number of times. The coach was running fine and continued to run fine. When I hit the brake to stop at the exit, it stopped, the about a mile later it started up again, then when I stopped at the next light it stopped. While this was going on, the dashboard driver information center was blank.

I made it home just fine. Later that night when I drove it to the storage facility, everything was fine and no lights flashed or cycled.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The coach was running fine and continued to run fine. When I hit the brake to stop at the exit, it stopped, the about a mile later it started up again, then when I stopped at the next light it stopped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should read your Winnie and Freightliner manuals. I believe your dashboard was doing its "diagnostic self-check". This is a manually triggered function. If the dash did this all by itself (i.e.- you were not pressing buttons as you drove), I would say that you should go back to the dealer and have the tech go for ride with you.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Update to dashboard diagnostic lights issue.

Freightliner ran a diagnostics routine on the coach and a fault code showed up regarding the head light/dash light brightness control switch. They ordered a replacement switch and installed it this morning. Unfortunately, only after leaving freightliner facility did I noticed that the new switch does not light up when the head lights are turned on. I couldn't remember if the original one did - does any one know? It looks like it should.

They also noted that the connections to the control module box had some looseness in them and they replaced all the connections to ensure that they were tight. After the last 50 miles of driving, no further problems.

They also told me that a number of fault codes were present due to low battery power while the coach sat on the dealer's lot for approximately 249 days. With a fresh set of chassis batteries installed by the selling dealer, all was fine and there were no new codes.

Clayton
2006 Journey 36G
Cat 350
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #5

Clayton, that's great news. And we're glad your electrical issues are resolved! Thanks for posting back with us on the issue. It's the feedback like yours that really gives this forum good ratings... When people do key word searches, they can discover the answers/fixes they were looking for.
Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad that you were able to get your problem resolved. One of your comments triggered another thought for me.

I had a speedometer problem that Freightliner worked on a couple of times without success. Between the selling dealer and I, the Freightliner bill was $1,000 for this problem. I finally fixed it myself and the problem turned about to be the ECM connector. This appears to be a weak point in Freightliner MH wiring and something we all could watch when funny symptoms show up. Now that I understand the way that the information is passed to the dash instruments, why that connector was causing problems for me makes perfect sense. What I cannot understand is why only my speedo was failing.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.
Clayton I had (and I'm currently having) the same experience with my 2005 Journey. I picked it up a few weeks ago and not more than 20 miles from the dealership the display warning lights started cycling. It seems the only way I can get it to stop is to shut down the engine and re-start it. I guess I will need to find a freightliner service center to fix this problem. Thanks for the info.

Scott
2005 Journey 39F
Cat 350

2016 Citation 24ST
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #8

Call Freightliner Customer Service, Let them help solve your problem. Get the name of the person you talk to and ask them to add this to your vehicles record. They will need the last 6 digits of your Vin. They want you to do this and may issue a ticket number and call a dealer with that number so you will have a head start at the dealer. Use the resources available to you...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote