Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldn't enjoy the small 19" in the bed room, so I had to update it to a 26". I also added a second HD satellite receiver. Here's what I did:

I first installed a dual LNB on the KVH domed antenna, ran the coax cable along the roof seam using the existing screws, along with cable hold downs from Lowes, and ran it into the coach. If I need to use a tri pod, with an external antenna, I connect it where the cable is shown in this image.

The second LNB cable (from the external antenna) is connected to the "cable" input jack in the electrical bay. I use an "A"/"B" switch in the front overhead cabinet to direct the satellite antenna source to the front TV. This is necessary to utilize my automatic satellite domed antenna.

This was the old 19" TV

"Walla"-- new found storage space

I had a cabinet shop in Nappannee, IN make me a new door. I did this over the phone, and sent Mr Kaufman (Tel # 574-773-4911) a sample door. What a fine man and an absolute pleasure to talk and work with. In two weeks I had both doors back, with all matching, original hardware. Cost, with shipping, was about $150.

Here is the new 26" westinghouse LCD Hi Def TV. It is mounted on the bedroom counter in front of the driver's side window. I picked this particular model because it has a built in DVD (Non-HD), front loading, player--SK-26H590D. I got this one from Sam's Club-- $548. Note the Direct TV Hi-Def receiver beneath it. I also added a vertical support arm-- I'm not sure I needed this.

The bedroom install worked out so well I couldn't quit!
I ripped out the old 27" RCA in the front and installed a second Westinghouse 26" LCD TV. It fit exactly into the same cabinet space, and about seventy pounds less in weight.

When I finished the rear TV install, I was looking through the newspaper fliers, and Target had a sale on this same model TV I had used in the bedroom. I ran down and bought a second one for $496. It normally is $695.

I supported the new one by making a steel bracket, which attaches where the "removed" TV base late was. It is bolted to the cabined floor. Two thin steel brackets support the top from two metal ears on the upper part of the TV. They are attached to a small piece of 2 X 4 which is bolted into the cabinet ceiling. Note the front loading DVD player slot.

Now I tried my hand at making a new fascia, out of matching oak. It is held on by 4 long screws, covered by the oak "buttons".

Another image from the driver's side. I went down to a local upholstery shop and had some "piping" made to attach to the back side or the fascia frame. They copied the original Fasica to a "T". Cost $5.

Passenger side Image-- Note the slot in the fascia, near the bottom half of the TV. This is where the manual, push button, controls are for the TV. It, of course, has a remote control.

"The Slot"

This is my, almost empty hole. I got rid of the Sony switch box and the VHS/DVD. We can now watch independent, seperate programs in both rooms-- This keeps the marrige on an even keel. We can select from any of four sources on either TV:
1. Satellite.
2. Winegard crank up-- This gives us Hi Def reception of local channels.
3. Cable hook up.
4. DVD player.

You can see the "A"/"B" switch on top of the "old" RCA satellite receiver. This selects the roof top dome antenna or the external tripod antenna- Radio Shack, about $20 bucks. Unfortunately, my KVH roof antenna is "married" to this receiver- It will not work properly with other receivers. I will carry another Direct TV Hi Def receiver, from the home place along with me, in the lower vacant slot. I have a 5 LNB satellite antenna permanetly mounted in Maine, where we spend our summers. I will then, of course, connect to that. When an automatic dome satellite, becomes available to pick up the 5 required satellites for hi- Def, I will install a new dome antenna-- but the industry is not there yet.

I first wanted to install the Westinghouse SK-32H590D in the front, A 32" LCD Hi-Def, front loading DVD-- but my upper cabinets couldn't handle it. I called Mr Kaufman and he said "come on up to my shop", I have a fifty amp hookup, you can live in the motor home and we'll remove the entire front overhead cabinet, re-size it, finish it all, in about a week. I didn't get a price.

The way I see it, as much money as we pay for these rigs, what's a little more to get complete enjoyment from the latest technology available. Money well spent in my opinion.

Good luck to all------- if you have any questions, just ask-- either in open threads or in a "private mail"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice job!!!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Offshore,
I believe it took me longer to figure out how to do this posting than it did to do the whole project--- Ha,Ha,
If MonocoMama hadn't helped,you wouldn't be seeing this now-- what a doll she is!!
I can usually fix and build/make things in no time-- I love projects and since I retired 3 years ago I have some time to devote to them.
Computers are a new ballgame to me
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Max I would like to add it to the Quick tips Easy Mods if its ok with you. People will have direct access to your thread in that way.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

It sure looks good. Its amazing when you change over to the LCD Flat Panel tv's of the extra space that you have to store more "stuff".

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure it's okay "007". I asked MonacoMama to move this thread to the Newmar forum also. I know "Oemtech" is glad to see me figure this stuff out--
Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #7

Good job - looks good and I know you will enjoy the new televisions. I did exactly the same thing in our bedroom and we not only enjoy the new HDTV, my wife loves the additional storage that opened up by removing the old TV. I also installed a HDTV in the front cabinet.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #8

Great job Max! BTW there now IS a solution for your roofmount 5 LNB dish....it's a Motosat...not a dome, but stationary dish....lists for about $2300 and possibly on the "bleeding" edge of technology for now, but the only choice so far, along with a new Wingard model 5 lnb...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Max...I was out with some of my Monaco people most of the day yesterday so I did not have a chance to follow stuff yesterday. I am glad to see "007" take control...but then the "Quick Tips and Easy Mods" in Newmar is his baby.

By the way.. you did GREAT and I am very proud of your new found "photo posting prowess" along with the great job you did with your TV modifications!

I just walked you through posting photos...you did great once you got away from the computer and then came back to try it. If someone else has problems posting..they can PM me.

Again..Great Job, Max!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update--

Our first day and night on the road and everything is working great. The Hi-Def is coming in loud and clear with the Winegard bat wing antenna. I can't pick up Hi-Def channels on Direct TV 'cause I don't have a 5 LNB antenna as we travel.

We're in Aiken SC tonight, Thomasville GA tomorrow--
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Awesome job Max! I am just about to start this project myself on my front TV. Question, did you rebuild the facia on front TV out of need, or were you trying to customize it for the side controls of the TV?

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Sarge,

I had to rebuild the fascia-- The old one didn't fit the new application. If you need to do that and don't have the equipment, look for a cabinet maker near you-- It should cost a hundred bucks or so,

Good luck,
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Max!
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #14

Nice Max,

Very nice indeed. It's obvious you put a lot of forethought and work into that project. Now you will never want to leave the coach!!

Enjoy,

sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote