Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #1

One of the things Tom pointed out to me during his visit and inspection was the location of the side wall lag bolts. Had heard them mentioned before but wasn't sure of there location. Guess I had been looking for something bigger than Life.

Fighting boredom briefly while on a trip last week, I put a socket on the lag bolts and found that 2 of the four lags are broken. The rear on the main slide and the forward on the entertainment slide.

Question...what is the best way to remove the pieces still in the unit and what to replace them with. The remaining two lags tighten down tight. Doesn't appear to be a problem with wall 'height' as has been mentioned before. The main slide does 'sit funny' but believe thats because of a repair/adjustment the selling dealer made before purchase. That's another question for later.

Did a search on lag bolts but wasn't coming up with the discussions I was looking for.

Any suggestions that will make it easier.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #2

One of the things Tom pointed out to me during his visit and inspection was the location of the side wall lag bolts. Had heard them mentioned before but wasn't sure of there location. Guess I had been looking for something bigger than Life.

Fighting boredom briefly while on a trip last week, I put a socket on the lag bolts and found that 2 of the four lags are broken. The rear on the main slide and the forward on the entertainment slide.

Question...what is the best way to remove the pieces still in the unit and what to replace them with. The remaining two lags tighten down tight. Doesn't appear to be a problem with wall 'height' as has been mentioned before. The main slide does 'sit funny' but believe thats because of a repair/adjustment the selling dealer made before purchase. That's another question for later.

Did a search on lag bolts but wasn't coming up with the discussions I was looking for.

Any suggestions that will make it easier.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Ideally, the thing to do with the lag bolt issue would be to change them out with something stronger before they break. If there is room, you might consider leaving the broken shank in place and run a stainless steel lag down beside it. You can order stainless steel lags from here Lag bolt source. The lag bolts used have fair strength in tension, but the stress that is breaking them appears to be shear. Although expensive, the stainless steel lag would be a much better choice. MTCW

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris,
If I'm not mistaken, what Bob mentioned is what they (SC) did to our coach. Replaced the lag bolts right above or below the old locations.
John
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I had one broken and replaced them with stainless. I tried to ez out the broken one with no success. If I remember right when talking with Jack, drill above the old one to insert the new one. I wanted to put longer lags in and got 4 inch but found out they were to long. So I need to replace the 4 inch with 3 1/2 inch
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Larry,

Where did you find your stainless steel lag bolts?

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
What grade bolt should be used for the replacement?

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
Larry,

Where did you find your stainless steel lag bolts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lowes, I wanted Grade 8 but they didn't have that so I picked up the stainless, at least I think I wanted Grade 8 and I think I settled for Stainless, must be the Goose and Juice. Tom help me.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
On mine, they cut a hole in the black material on the back side of where the lag goes through and took visegrips and took out the broken stud from the inside. I'll try to get a pic. They then drilled the hole to clean it up. They installed a grade 5 - 3/8" X 4" bolt with washers and nut. A piece of wood was installed in the aluminum bracing to act as shim to aid in keeping that area more robust (another pic) and resist flexing. I've heard of some folks wanting to use a super grade like a grade 8. I would advise against this since it is so rigid and brittle they would be sure to snap. Like a airplane wing...you hope it flexes some. I believe the factory lag bolt is a 0 or 1 grade which in my opinion (obviously, they are breaking) is inferior for the job it is ask to do. On older units (up to '04) lag bolts were 5/16" X 2 or 2 1/2" lags. 'O5 and newer are using 3/8" X 4". I hope to get pix yet today for you. Both are prone to breaking.

Note: When removing and installing new lags or bolts always support the side wall to hold in place. If your already have a broken lag then the wall in that area has probably dropped some. Pay attention to the line up of the bolt holes and look at the top of your slides when closed for proper clearance and gap with the slide framing. Tom

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I may be the only one in the dark, but where are these bolts you are talking about. I may want to be proactive and replace mine.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #11

Thanks all for the information.

Tom, Thanks for the photos and information. Where would I be without you.

After looking at your pics, I when out and looked at the area again. Took one of the good lags out and measured it, 3" long. There's about 1/2" sticking through the wood material so 2 1/2" would take it to the edge.

Should have waited for the edited post. When I opened it up...got a face full of wood chips. Be sure and add that the next time. The one I opened is easy to get to and the other is in the wheel well with a aluminin upper panel to get into and a wheel to take off.

Haven't noticed the wall 'fallin', but one of the lags is on the slide thats out of alignment. Will be sure to check the aligment of the holes when installing the new bolts/screws. Might look at the bolt thing when I get into the project.

Ed, when I first got my unit last year, used, all I heard about was lag screws. Never knew where they where for sure until Tom did the inspection.

On my unit they are at the bottom of the slide opening on the wall. Where the weather strip connects at the bottom, in that area there is a six sided bolt head with a washer showing. Thats the lag bolt in question. Have four on my unit.

Thanks, Chris
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chris for the update. One thing I forgot to mention. This is how it is on MY rig. Other models may be a little different, the general concept is the basically the same. YMMV Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #13

Just removed the first lag screw. Broke about an inch from the head.

With the hole open in the underbelly fabric....used a medium size vice grips and screwed the broken section out. Just like Tom stated. Simple enough. Now to get a replacement. Checked the alignment of the wall and frame, was able to slide a long blade philips screw driver blade through the hole without any effort. Guess thats a good thing.

Started taking pictures. Glad this is digital and not film. With my allowance, couldn't afford the processing.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #14

I think I understand where these lags are at but how can I check to make sure they are okay?
Also if they are still okay should they be changed anyway with something a bit more robust?
Thanks

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote