Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
this is on the national site also. fiberglass cloth from frame rails to floor on sides of engine. can't see engine from wheel wells. should it be there or not? do i remove it? DRIVER? seen this before?????
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
this is on the national site also. fiberglass cloth from frame rails to floor on sides of engine. can't see engine from wheel wells. should it be there or not? do i remove it? DRIVER? seen this before?????
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National RV used this to protect the engine. It is supposed to be there. Was also used on F53 chassis.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cannon man:
.... Should it be there or not? do i remove it? DRIVER? seen this before .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>cannon man, No I can't say that I have. I don't have any engine covers on my rig however perhaps National had something up their sleeve when they did that. I would call the Workhorse technical support to find out for sure.

Aside from the fabric between the the body and the top of the radiator I don't often see any covers on motorhomes than hide the engine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

Driving N on I25 in a strong cross wind in March, the passenger side shroud ripped off with a resounding thud as it hit the rear wheels or something back there. Fortunately, not the toad. I'm wondering if I need to try to replace it? Could it help plug wire cooling?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our MH, I can see the entire engine looking through the wheel wells. To date I have never had a heat problem. Infact I think my motor run too cool. The only mods I have made is to ensure that all of the air flow through the front passes through the radiator. Have traveled through Needles at +110deg and no heat problems.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bigdaddy:
Have traveled through Needles at +110deg and no heat problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Me too! The engine ran cool as a cucumber!

We made that run in August up from Casa Grande.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 Dolphin is similar if not identical. I would strongly recommend that you not remove this material. National/Dolphin is one of the manufacturers who got their air flow design correct. I say this because I have not heard of any Dolphin having high engine area temperatures nor spark plug wire problems due to high heat. Several manufacturers have had problems so I would not change a thing.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I asked a tech. at the East Coast National Service center a few years ago, and he said to leave them in place. They help in the cooling of the engine.

I have read a lot about Plug wire failures with WH chassis, but I don't recall seeing any problems with National RV, regarding Plug wires. I have not had any. I loosen the ties to roll up the screen, when working , then replace the ties.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #10

have the same, but mines a 5342 same year.Never noticed the cloth covers till I say your message.Thanks,Im leaving mine on,how long do do you think there going to last.